The Ohio Public Employees Retirement System uses a reimbursement process administered by OneExchange to help participants in the OPERS Medicare Connector pay their expenses.
Today’s blog addresses how to pay Medicare Part B premiums and be reimbursed through your HRA account. Medicare Part B premiums cover doctor’s visits as well as some lab work, X-rays, therapy and durable medical equipment. You can view an accompanying video series on our YouTube channel.
Paying your bill
- You pay Medicare for Med B insurance. It can come out of your monthly Social Security check, if you receive this benefit. If not, you pay the premium directly to Medicare by check or credit card.
- You have the option of setting up payments to occur monthly, quarterly or yearly.
Getting your money
Connector participants can be reimbursed for the portion of their Med B premiums that OPERS doesn’t cover. The $31.81 that OPERS provides ends next year.
Medicare Part B premium reimbursements can be set up on a recurring basis once a year. Submit the recurring claim form to OneExchange to have the money sent to you from your HRA account.
Verifying your claim:
You’ll need to document your expenses. Make sure your submitted documents include:
- The covered participant’s name
- The insurance provider name
- The date of service
- A description of coverage (for example, Medigap)
- Proof of payment
When you seek reimbursement, your proof of payment can include:
- A copy of the benefit award letter you receive each fall if you receive Social Security benefits
- A proof of income letter
- A portion of the premium invoice, if you pay Medicare directly
Next topic: OPERS-sponsored insurance