10 documents to prepare when applying for retirement

For members retiring from the Traditional Pension and Combined plans

By Kristen Dohrmann, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

March 30, 2017 – If you’re considering retirement in the near future or have already begun the retirement application process, the following documents will be required to process your application. These documents can be submitted at any time during your career or during the application process and should include your full name and at least the last four digits of your Social Security number.

1.    Proof of date of birth (see OPERS Form F-6 for acceptable proof)
2.    Proof of date of birth for your beneficiary(ies)
3.    Proof of date of birth for any eligible dependents for health care coverage enrollment
4.    Marriage certificate (if applicable)
5.    Any Divorce and Division of Property Orders (if applicable)
6.    Addresses, Social Security numbers and dates of birth for beneficiaries and dependents
7.    Proof of Medicare Parts A and B for you and eligible dependents, if applicable (copy of Medicare card)
8.    Any court orders that may pertain to your retirement
9.    Early Retirement Incentive Plan Agreement (if your employer offers an ERI Plan)
10.  Bureau of Workers Compensation claim number (if you have been paid by the BWC during public employment)

9 thoughts on “10 documents to prepare when applying for retirement

  • April 5, 2017 at 3:14 pm

    I would like to send you many of the 10 documents needed for retirement – ahead of time. Is there an address to mail them to? or an email I can scan and email them to? or a fax number to scan them to? and would I get back some confirmation that they were received? thank you.

    • April 7, 2017 at 8:16 am


      Thanks for your question. You can submit photocopies of your documents by mail to 277 E Town Street Columbus, OH 43215. If you would like to submit the documents electronically please submit your inquiry through your online account so we can determine the appropriate department that handles your account specific information. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-222-7377.

      Julie, Ohio PERS

  • April 6, 2017 at 11:46 am

    There are a couple of things you can do to find that information.

    Your annual statement includes your personalized retirement information. Statements are being mailed now and you should receive yours soon. Also, your annual statement is posted in your online account on the OPERS website under “documents.”

    For more general information about retirement eligibility, go to the Pensions & Health Care Eligibility guide, also posted on the OPERS website. The OPERS Pension & Health Care Eligibility Guide is a reference that will tell you the minimum age and years of service credit you must reach, depending on your retirement group, to qualify for both. The guide applies to all OPERS-covered positions except law enforcement and public safety.

    Hope this helps. Please contact us if you have further questions.

    Julie, Ohio PERS

  • April 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

    I receive monthly OPERS disability payments, and I just turned 60 years old. What is the cutoff age in which my disability ends and I begin receiving retirement payments?? And, what do I need to know or do in order to switch from disability to retirement payments?
    Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

    • April 7, 2017 at 3:51 pm


      To protect the security of your personal information, we can’t answer account-specific questions over social media. We ask that you call us at 1-800-222-PERS (7377) between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to speak with a highly trained Member Services Representative, who can verify your account information over the phone. I suggest calling early in the morning when call volume is at its lowest. If you’d prefer not to wait on the phone, use our Virtual Hold system to schedule a time for us to call you back. You also can use your online account to send us a secure message, and a Member Services representative will get back to you.

      You might also want to review the Disability Benefits leaflet found on the OPERS website, https://www.opers.org/pubs-archive/leaflets/ISL-K.pdf.

      Good luck,

      Julie, Ohio PERS

  • March 9, 2021 at 8:28 am

    who do I contact to complain about the WEP in Ohio

    • March 12, 2021 at 12:13 pm


      Contact your representatives in Congress.

      • April 8, 2021 at 1:00 pm

        How’s come 40 years and more than 40 credits and pers will be reduced half and I’m 66 years old and want to retire, what can I do?

        • April 12, 2021 at 8:23 am


          Contact us at 800-222-7377 for answers to your questions.


Leave a Reply

We encourage your comments on the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System’s PERSpective blog. We can’t respond to every comment. Please be aware that we review all comments before they’re posted, and we reserve the right to edit, not publish or remove any comment that in our sole discretion does not further the purpose of the blog. For further details, please see our Comments Policy.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *