Stay in touch with OPERS

Five things to keep in mind while enjoying your retirement

By Heather Drago, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

April 18, 2017 – Your OPERS benefit payment hits your bank account every month like clockwork – no need to worry about that. You’re free to spend your time doing what you want, when you want.

But it’s important to check in with us from time to time, especially if you have had a change in your personal or contact information.

  1. Keep your personal and contact information updated with OPERS – Because you receive your benefit payment via direct deposit, it’s easy to forget to notify OPERS if your address or bank changes. You can make changes to either by signing into your online account. Keeping your address updated will ensure that you receive important communications from OPERS.
  2. Review your tax withholding – If you haven’t reviewed your tax withholding since you retired, it might be time to discuss it with your financial adviser or tax preparer. We are not tax advisers at OPERS, so we really can’t help you decide what to withhold. Changes to your tax withholding can be made through your online account as well. If you do want to make a change you can also do this through your online account.
  3. Update your beneficiaries and family information – When you retired you selected one or more beneficiaries to receive either a monthly or lump sum benefit when you die. While there are only a few circumstances that allow you to update the beneficiaries named to receive a monthly benefit (death, marriage, or divorce), you can change who gets your lump sum death benefit. Your online account lists current designations and has the form needed to make changes to your lump sum death benefit.
  4. Consider a letter of last instruction – Unlike a will, a letter of last instruction is not a legally binding document. But it helps family members or friends handling your affairs in the event of your death. A letter of last instruction explains things like the location of vital papers, business affairs and designated funeral arrangements. You may wish to list OPERS and/or your insurance carriers with phone numbers so your family knows who to call to report your death.
  5. Consider asking your spouse or another trusted person to assist you with your retirement account – OPERS cannot discuss your personal account information with anyone unless we receive written authorization from you. If you would like us to be able to discuss account information with a person of your choice, you need to complete an Authorization for Release of Account Information (LL2), which can be found on under Retiree Forms. When completing this form, be specific about the information you authorize OPERS to share, and provide an expiration date.

8 thoughts on “Stay in touch with OPERS

  • April 18, 2017 at 8:15 am

    Thanks for the info.

  • April 26, 2017 at 4:17 pm

    Like what I am seeing. Nice job.

  • May 4, 2017 at 12:23 pm

    How is the repeal and replace of Obamacare going to effect our Medicare/One Exchange health care coverage?

    • May 8, 2017 at 1:07 pm

      Thank you for your comment.
      Like you, we are watching closely what is happening in Washington on the health care front. No one is sure yet what changes will be made to the Affordable Care Act or when those changes will go into effect. We’ll keep you posted once we know more.


  • March 26, 2020 at 11:15 am

    How can I change my email address

    • March 27, 2020 at 1:11 pm


      You can reset your email address through your online account. Once you login, click on ‘My Profile’ at the top of the page, then scroll down to ‘Contact Information and Preferences’ and hit the Edit key. You can then change your email address and update your phone number if you choose.

      If you need help, call us at 1-800-222-7377. Select option #3 to leave a voicemail and a member of our staff will call you back. Please know that our staff members are working from home, so the call back will be from a private number.

      Julie, OPERS

  • August 31, 2021 at 11:45 am

    What department do I FAX information regarding my family members to? I have to change the current information as all my family members listed currently are deceased.

    • September 2, 2021 at 1:38 pm

      The documents can be faxed to 614-857-1144 and once received they would be forwarded to your account.
      Thanks MS


Leave a Reply

We encourage your comments on the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System’s PERSpective blog. We can’t respond to every comment. Please be aware that we review all comments before they’re posted, and we reserve the right to edit, not publish or remove any comment that in our sole discretion does not further the purpose of the blog. For further details, please see our Comments Policy.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *