Life Events section of OPERS website there to help when changes occur
By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
Aug. 29, 2018 – While you’re working as an OPERS member, or after you retire, your life likely will change, and sometimes in significant ways. These developments can affect your retirement benefit, so you need to know how to respond.
We’ve designed the new Life Events section of the OPERS website to guide you through many of the decisions you might have to make during and after your public service career.
Live Events contains helpful links and tools you’ll need as an OPERS member. Let’s look at some of the sections to see what you can reference through Life Events. Refer to the website for more information.
- Beneficiaries: You’ll need to choose a beneficiary for your retirement benefit, someone who will receive either a lump-sum refund or monthly benefits in the event of your death. This section of the website helps you designate a beneficiary or make changes.
- Divorce, dissolution or annulment of marriage: The rules in place regarding these events can have a significant impact on your retirement benefits.
- Turning 65: This section gives you the lowdown on Medicare benefits.
- Returning to work: If you retire and want to become re-employed, check out this section for particulars about where your money goes and how health care works.
- Death of a member: This section is for caregivers and survivors, to let them know how to contact us and what will happen next.