Life insurance available to members

Colonial Life to offer policies, with enrollment starting in June

By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

May 30, 2019 — The Ohio Public Employees Retirement System has announced that the Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. will again offer term life and whole life policies to OPERS members during an open enrollment period this year. It’s an effort to help members plan for their future and provide financial stability for their family when they pass away.

The policies will be available to active members, their spouses and children, and may be extended to grandchildren. The voluntary insurance would be in addition to life insurance that members’ employers might offer, and OPERS members would bear the cost.

Please watch your email in the next couple of weeks for information from Colonial Life that explains coverage details. Enrollment will be conducted directly with Colonial Life.

The policies are currently being offered with guaranteed issue during this year’s enrollment period. Guaranteed issue is available only up to certain limits, and eligibility questions still apply.

The open enrollment period will be June 3 through Aug. 30. Our members can enroll over the phone with Colonial Life, and they can initiate coverage before the end of the open enrollment period.

For more information, visit the OPERS page on the Colonial Life website.


Michael Pramik

Michael Pramik is communication strategist for the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and editor of the PERSpective blog. As an experienced business journalist, he clarifies complex pension policies and helps members make smart choices to secure their retirement.

Michael Pramik

Communication Strategist

  • Is there some reason that the rates aren’t published? Why do I have to meet or talk with a representative?

  • Can‘t open and read PDF documents on my phone and can‘t always get to library. Can format be changed?

    • Susann, please call Colonial Life at 844-341-8803 for assistance in accessing those documents.

      Julie, OPERS

    • Debra, please call Colonial Life at 844-341-8803 for more information about to purchasing insurance.


    • Yes, Tim, the insurance is being offered to actively working OPERS members. Sorry for the confusion.


  • Is this insurance available to retired members who are currently rehired in OPERS position and paying into OPERS ?

    • Re-employed retirees can obtain insurance through Colonial, but you may find it is cost prohibitive. Generally the older you are, the higher the rate. But call Colonial to find out for yourself. Their number is 844-341-8803.

      Julie, OPERS

  • If purchased while active member, will coverage be cancelled at retirement or will Colonial Penn offer to continue coverage at different rate/term?

    • Retirees can obtain insurance through Colonial but you may find it is cost prohibitive. Generally the older you are, the higher the rate. Please call Colonial at 844-341-8803 for more information.


  • 2 questions please.
    1) where can I find the dates of employment in positions under OPERS,
    A) Hancock County Children’s Service Board
    B) Portage County Department of Human Services

    2)At the time of my retirement (November 31, 1999) OPERS had a death benefit for retirees. Is that still in place and if so what are the current amounts?

    • Mr. Hiney,

      Active members can see a service credit breakdown in their online account, but it will only have their service by year, not by employer. Once you retire, you see just the total service credit used in your benefit calculation. If you want the details, call us at 800-222-7377 and we can look it up for you.

      For the death benefit, the amount is dependent on the years of service at retirement. It ranges from $500 – $2500, and you can see what the amount would be by looking at the benefit calculation section in your online account.

      Julie, OPERS

  • Hello,
    What happens to prudential supplementl life insurance that people currently have through the state of ohio when we retire?

    • Your HR department should be able to answer that question, or contact the Ohio Department of Administrative Services at 1-800-409-1205, option 2.

  • What happens to the money we put into Life insurance over the years. My entire working life was at OSU. I Turned 70 in May.

    • We wouldn’t know the specifics of your insurance policy. You may want to reach out to your HR department for assistance.

      Julie, OPERS

  • >