OPERS announces 2020 cost-of-living adjustment

Based on Consumer Price Index, some retirees will see a 1.4% increase

By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Aug. 14, 2019 – OPERS has announced the cost-of-living adjustments that will be available for retirees in 2020.

Those whose retirement effective date is prior to Jan. 7, 2013, will continue to receive a 3 percent cost-of-living adjustment.

Members whose effective date of retirement is on or after Jan. 7, 2013, are scheduled to have next year’s COLA based on the CPI-W, the government’s inflation index for urban wage earners and clerical workers. According to state law, the annual COLA for these retirees is to be based on the change in the CPI-W index from the end of June 2018 to the end of June this year.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the CPI-W index increased 1.40 percent over that period. (For reference, click on “CPI-W, June 2019” on this page of the Bureau of Labor Statistics website and refer to cell AD-7 in the spreadsheet.) Thus, the COLA issued to those retirees beginning with their 2020 benefit anniversary date will be 1.4 percent.

Michael Pramik

Michael Pramik is communication strategist for the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and editor of the PERSpective blog. As an experienced business journalist, he clarifies complex pension policies and helps members make smart choices to secure their retirement.

Michael Pramik

Communication Strategist

9 thoughts on “OPERS announces 2020 cost-of-living adjustment

• August 14, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Really, 1.4%. Won’t help much at all. (And I know this comment won’t be seen by anyone, as you only post positive comments.)

• August 14, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Does that mean they will receive 4.40%?

• August 15, 2019 at 11:24 am

No. Those who retired before Jan. 7, 2013 will receive a 3% COLA. Those who retired after that date will receive a 1.4% COLA. They are not combined.

• August 14, 2019 at 2:39 pm

That is NOT fair everyone should get the same COLA!!!
    Why should I be punished for retiring later

• August 14, 2019 at 2:40 pm

I would like to see OPERS revisit the cost of living adjustment. First, you broke apart Group A into 2 subsets, which you did not do with Groups B and C. Second, you caused many members in Group Aa to retire before they were planning to do so. Then, you left Group Ab to the US BLS to decide what they would see by why of a cost of living adjustment. Most probably assumed, and correctly, that would be much less than 3%. I never saw this as equal treatment for Group A members. Perhaps everyone should be subjected to more equitable guidelines in the future.

• August 14, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Great!!!..another way to thank the retirees that didnt retire before 2013 but still put 30 years in,besides all the other things we were promised when we hired

• August 14, 2019 at 3:30 pm

You want to save on health care? I’m am on disability and use my health care a ton of course. I could drop and use my wife’s but PERS won’t let me. Forcing me to use PERS funded health care. If I was to use my wife’s coverage, I alone would save PERS thousands a year. Let people on disability use a spouses coverage if available

• August 14, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Thank you. I’m grateful for any increase.