Packets will arrive in mid-October detailing 2020 health care coverage
By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
Sept. 17, 2019 – Open enrollment time is drawing close for participants in 2020 health care coverage through OPERS.
This year’s open enrollment season will run from Oct. 15-Dec. 7. The changes will take effect on Jan. 1. Packets of information explaining coverage options will begin arriving in mid-October.
As open enrollment nears, we encourage participants to think about your health care needs and to be prepared to make choices that are best for you and your family. A few items to be aware of:
- If you’re not yet eligible for Medicare, you can enroll in the OPERS Retiree Health Plan, administered by Medical Mutual. It’s a network/PPO plan.
- If you’re not yet eligible for Medicare and are re-employed, consider the Pre-Medicare Re-Employed Plan, also administered by Medical Mutual.
- The full premium amount will increase in 2020 from $1,305.96 to $1,379.59. Pre-Medicare spouses can enroll at the full monthly premium price.
- Out-of-pocket costs will increase in 2020, with an annual limit of $5,750. Refer to specific plan information for details.
- A $49 monthly premium reduction, provided in previous years to participants in OPERS coverage, will not be issued in 2020 and beyond.
- Refer to the open enrollment packet for dental and vision plan coverage.
- If you’re making no changes, your coverage will automatically continue in 2020 and you need take no action during the open enrollment period. However, even if you are not making changes, please take the time to read over the open enrollment packet and note any coverage changes for 2020.
- If you’re enrolling, making changes or canceling coverage, you must complete and return your open enrollment form or contact OPERS between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. You can cancel medical coverage or adjust dental and/or vision coverage by calling us at 800-222-7377.
OPERS Medicare Connector
- The Health Reimbursement Arrangement base monthly allowance will remain at $450 for 2020. Your monthly allowance amount, which is a percentage of the base amount, will remain unchanged.
- Review your current medical and prescription drug plan. If your health conditions, medication or medical providers have changed in the last year, consider if your current plan will meet your needs next year.
- Via Benefits is now administering HRA processing. Via Benefits is your source for concerns with your current insurance provider and your health care online account.
- Remember that you must submit recurring reimbursement forms each year, including forms for Medicare part B and OPERS vision and dental premiums, as well as medical and prescription drug plan premiums not set up for automatic reimbursement.
- OPERS will continue to offer vision and dental coverage. Refer to the open enrollment packet for more information.
- If you’re making no changes, your coverage will automatically continue in 2020, and you need take no action during the open enrollment period.
- If you are making changes, contact Via Benefits between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7.