Retirees rely on OPERS’ dental, vision coverage

Know the facts before enrolling in a second plan mid-year

By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

May 29, 2020 – OPERS retirees might occasionally receive offers for dental and vision coverage from sources other than us.

For instance, the retiree member group PERI, in coordination with Association Member Benefits Advisors, recently offered its membership the opportunity to enroll in a dental and vision plan not associated with OPERS. The enrollment materials indicated a start date of July 1.

If you currently are enrolled in a dental or vision plan through OPERS, your enrollment will continue through the end of 2020. In most cases there is no advantage to enrolling in, and paying for, multiple dental and/or vision plans.

OPERS believes it’s important to offer dental and vision coverage that meets our retirees’ needs, both clinically and financially. The optional plans we’ve chosen feature comprehensive coverage that exceeds that of the average plan in today’s market, and we conveniently deduct the premiums from your pension benefit.

The OPERS plans provide an extensive network of providers and excellent customer service from both MetLife (dental) and Aetna (vision). In addition, premiums for 2021 will be slightly lower than this year due to the suspension of the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Tax. Your next opportunity to make a change to your OPERS dental or vision plan will be during open enrollment this fall. Any change you make will be effective Jan. 1, 2021.

The 2021 rates will be in place through the entire 2021 calendar year. The OPERS dental and vision plans have served our retirees and their families well for the past 40 years. This chart provides a direct comparison among OPERS plan options and the plans being offered by PERI and AMBA.

Michael Pramik

Michael Pramik is communication strategist for the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and editor of the PERSpective blog. As an experienced business journalist, he clarifies complex pension policies and helps members make smart choices to secure their retirement.

Michael Pramik

Communication Strategist

9 thoughts on “Retirees rely on OPERS’ dental, vision coverage

• May 29, 2020 at 1:23 pm

I am so glad that I am retired from The Great State of Ohio. Keep up the good work. Thanks to Michael Pramik

• May 29, 2020 at 2:27 pm

If OPERS cares so much about us retirees, then why is it that we are not able to get
    the life insurance policy that workers get? We are older now and need life insurance more so now than ever before.

• June 2, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Nancy,

Retirees are able to access the life insurance offered by Colonial. It could be cost-prohibitive, however, because the older you are, the higher the rate. Please call Colonial at 844-341-8803 for more information. Open enrollment continues through Sept. 30.

Julie, OPERS

• May 29, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I have vision and dental coverage with OPERS and am very pleased with the service I have received. No need to look any further. So glad OPERS still offers this coverage as it is important to keep your vision and dental health up to date.

• May 29, 2020 at 3:36 pm

I just recently shredded the second offer to join the packages offered by PERI. Looking at the attached comparison chart reminds me why I shredded both AMBA offers. It certainly appears that the AMBA plans cost more and are less beneficial. Over the years, I’ve received several comments from my dental and vision providers saying how great the OPERS plans coverage benefit me.

• May 29, 2020 at 3:44 pm

I am very glad that OPERS provides dental and vision coverage for us. Thank you so much!

• May 29, 2020 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for clarifying info on dental /vision insurance and comparison vs the PERI/AMBA plan we recently received in mail.. My opinion is that coverage OPERS offers is good deal and I appreciate that you offer it to retirees.

• June 1, 2020 at 6:17 am

Thank you. I get their (PERI) advertisements all the time! I recently wrote them to take me off their distribution list.

• June 1, 2020 at 9:29 am

I did receive an invitation to Peri’s Retiree dental and vision plan. I wasn’t sure what to do with it.
    Thank you so much for clarifying this and offering a comparison screen. I now know that I already have a good plan (OPERS) Thank you!