Budgeting, preparing for retirement, health care among topics
By Marc Tubbs, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
Nov. 12, 2020 – As we continue to navigate the never-before-seen circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, OPERS is maintaining our high standard of service while many of our employees continue working in a remote environment.
Because the OPERS building remains closed to visitors, we’ve greatly expanded our ability to help and educate members in an online environment. For instance, OPERS member service representatives are responding to calls and emails in a timeframe typical for this time of year. We also offer one-on-one counseling via Zoom – call us at 800-222-7377 to set up an appointment.
Plus, we’ve expanded our online offerings this year in response to the decrease in live education events. We encourage members and retirees to take advantage of the following resources:
Webinars – For the safety of our membership and in accordance with current recommendations for gatherings in Ohio, we’ve postponed all in-person education sessions through the end of the year. However, we’ve increased the number of live webinars we offer for members at all stages of their careers. You can attend a webinar using a computer, smartphone or tablet.
Visit the Member Education Center at opers.org to register for any of the following member-targeted webinars, which will take place at noon on the designated days. (Additional webinars may be offered at other times.)
- Monday: Personal Budgeting – Learn how setting up a personal budget can help you meet your short- and long-term goals.
- Tuesday: Bridging the Retirement Gap – Assess your financial wellness, review your current spending habits and estimate your retirement income so you can identify the “gap” between what you will have in retirement and what you will need.
- Wednesday: Ready to Retire (Pension) – Find out how to calculate your monthly retirement payment, and learn about decisions you’ll need to make as you head into retirement.
- Thursday: Ready to Retire (Health Care) – Discover what it takes to become eligible for OPERS health care coverage and find out more information about current coverage.
- Friday: Active Member Pension & Health Care Updates – Find out more about health care changes coming in 2022 and their impact to active members.
We’ve also got several webinars for retirees, including the following:
- Open Enrollment 2021 – Hear updates about premiums, plan design and covered services for next year’s health care coverage. Webinar for those 65 and older | Webinar for those Under 65
- Retiree Health Care Under 65 – Understand the approved health care changes and their impact to retirees not yet eligible for Medicare.
- Transitioning to the OPERS Medicare Connector – Prepare to move to the Connector and to an individual Medicare plan.
- Retiree Health Care 65 and Older – Learn how the approved health care changes will affect those 65 and older.
- How to Use Your Health Reimbursement Account – Find out how to use the HRA to be reimbursed for expenses.
Recorded presentations – You can view online recorded presentations on all our webinar topics at your own convenience.
A complete list of recorded presentations, and many more resources for all OPERS members and retirees, are available within the Member Education Center.