MetLife to administer OPERS vision plan

Current enrollees can be automatically enrolled at beginning of 2023

By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Oct. 24, 2022 – OPERS reminds retirees that effective Jan. 1, the OPERS Vision Plan will be administered by MetLife, the same provider that administers the OPERS Dental Plan. With just a single provider for both the OPERS Dental and Vision plans, OPERS retirees will have a single, dedicated phone number and access to their coverage information within a single website and online account.

MetLife will offer the Superior Vision network, which is one of the largest, most diverse networks of licensed eye care professionals, featuring a mix of independent and retail providers. To find out if your current vision provider is within MetLife’s Superior Vision network, please visit metlife.com/opers. Go to “Vision Insurance,” and then click on the “Find A Vision Provider” button.

To avoid higher out-of-pocket costs, we strongly encourage you to confirm whether your vision provider is in-network prior to any visit. It’s also a good rule of thumb to always check on your provider’s status during open enrollment.

We’ve provided answers to some common questions about the transition to MetLife vision coverage and the OPERS Dental Plan at opers.org/health-care/open-enrollment.

• If you are currently enrolled in the OPERS Vision Plan, you will automatically be enrolled in the new MetLife plan. No action is required.
  • If you wish to make changes to your vision or dental coverage for 2023, fill out the form provided within your open enrollment packet and return the form to OPERS prior to Dec. 15. You can also call OPERS to change your plan level or cancel coverage.
  • The only time to add or cancel OPERS dental and vision coverage is during open enrollment.

Michael Pramik

Michael Pramik is communication strategist for the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and editor of the PERSpective blog. As an experienced business journalist, he clarifies complex pension policies and helps members make smart choices to secure their retirement.

Michael Pramik

Communication Strategist

6 thoughts on “MetLife to administer OPERS vision plan

• October 25, 2022 at 9:16 am

Michael – After speaking with agents from Superior Vision by Metlife, and my vision care provider (Eye Care Associates), I find that my provider does not participate in the MetLife plan. So, that is going to leave me with no vision insurance when OPERS switches to MetLife on January 1.
    What are my options, here?
    Does OPERS have any influence with MetLife to expand their provider lists?
    If I have to go outside of the OPERS-administered plan, will OPERS help with the additional premiums I’ll likely have to pay with a private insurer?
    I’d prefer not to have to switch providers after over 25 years with the same vision care group.
    Any help will be appreciated.

• October 26, 2022 at 10:20 am

Tom, OPERS cannot control which providers work with MetLife. During open enrollment you may contact Via Benefits to explore other vision plans that may better meet your needs. If you elect an outside plan OPERS would not assists with the premiums but if you have an available balance in the HRA you may submit for reimbursement. Thank you, OPERS

• November 7, 2022 at 10:34 am

I have the same problem as Tom Brent. My vision care provider does not participate in the MetLife program. Instead of 25 years, mine is 65 years at the optometric practice as I started wearing glasses at a young age. I’m now seeing the third optometrist, but they have all been at the same practice. I’m not happy to have to switch to a new dr. The only one in the plan and closer than 30 miles is Walmart. I don’t think this change received enough research.

• November 14, 2022 at 8:54 pm

I am getting worried about the amount of medical reimbursement that is given to me now. I get 301 monthly but my insurance cost 363 monthly. The rest comes from my HRA which is depleting every month. Is Opers going to look into this for medicare recipients? Will my HRA ever increase?

• November 22, 2022 at 8:37 am

Elaine,

The Medicare base allowance amount currently is $350. It is re-evaluated periodically based on market conditions and funding.

• November 15, 2022 at 4:41 pm

My provider is not with Metlife. I have multiple eye problems and want to stay with her and her excellent optician. I am very disappointed that OPERS did not give us the option of staying with the AETNA/Eyemed plan. My optometrist said that will not take Metlife because they had so many problems with getting paid. The Metlife plan sends elderly people to malls for their eye care. These places provide minimal selection of lens to fit the needs of people like me who need more complicated progressive lens to see properly.