Member handbook is a comprehensive overview of your pension system
By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
Feb. 8, 2024 – The OPERS Member Handbook is an excellent online resource for our members and retirees. It contains extensive details about our retirement plans and general member benefits. We encourage members to take some time to read through this handbook and refer to it for questions about your retirement system and its benefits.
The handbook, titled “The Benefits of Membership,” includes valuable information on the following topics, and more:
- How to become eligible for a pension, either reduced or unreduced, under each of our plans
- Special rules that apply to Law Enforcement and Public Safety members, as well as elected officials
- Contributions, including member and employer rates and what constitutes an earnable salary
- The OPERS retirement plans and how to select and enroll in one
- Various types of service credit OPERS members can earn
- The process for naming and changing beneficiaries
- Claiming refunds of your OPERS account
- Preparing to receive your pension benefit, including payment options, how to apply and how to take advantage of the various types of counseling and education that OPERS offers
- How the OPERS health care program works, both for Pre-Medicare and Medicare retirees
There’s also information about other member benefits, including cost-of-living adjustments, becoming a re-employed retiree, disability payments, survivor benefits and making voluntary contributions.
While our website contains more in-depth information on a number of topics, the OPERS Member Handbook is a great resource for those seeking a comprehensive overview of the pension system.