Targeted messaging designed to boost comprehension of important topics
By Michael Pramik, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
Nov. 30, 2023 – OPERS is taking a new approach to some of its health care education, designed to provide targeted information to increase members’ knowledge of health care topics.
The initiative will include a series of new educational presentations taking a deep dive into health-care related issues that are important for members and retirees to understand. The first two address the specifics of Medicare, from the point of view of active members and of pre-Medicare retirees who soon will age into Medicare.
The information initially will be available as seminars and eventually as webinars and recorded presentations housed on the OPERS website.
The initial phase of the initiative focuses on understanding Medicare, and is geared toward the following active and retired groups:
- Members who are close to turning 65 and planning to retire
- Members who are over 65 and have chosen to keep working
- Retirees who are close to turning 65
Some of the topics discussed during the seminars include:
- When to enroll in Medicare and an individual Medicare plan, and what you’ll need during enrollment
- The difference between Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans
- How to use the OPERS Health Reimbursement Arrangement
The new presentations resulted from feedback we received after conducting informational sessions around Ohio this year.
Additional deep-dive educations will be developed and will be promoted as new presentations are rolled out.